Performs cost analysis and risk assessment for new and/or renewal self-funded clients. The Meritain Health underwriting department supports the attainment of organizational goals through the issuance of new business and renewal quotations. Core functions of the underwriting team include administrative fee pricing and stop loss marketing with our Preferred stop loss carrier panel. This role collaborates closely with sales and client management to create client solutions to reduce the total cost of care. Underwriting Consultants are responsible for the attainment, retention and profitability of a designated book of business, exercising administrative fee pricing authority when appropriate.
- Prepares and delivers moderately complex new business quotes, existing business renewals and/or accountings.
- Complexity of work increases as technical skills progress.
- Independently reviews work for accuracy and recommends pricing and/or accounting alternatives based on financial analysis, underwriting principals, and business strategy.
- Anticipates questions and formulate responses.
- Utilizes advanced functionality of underwriting tools, systems, and reference materials to produce accurate quotes, renewals and/or accountings.
- Applies underwriting guidelines and grants underwriting exceptions/financial variances for their assigned cases within the authority limit for the position.
- Independently assists sales and client management personnel in explaining rate/fee and communicating underwriting policy.
- May present information to employers, brokers and consultants.
- Produces timely and accurate customer specific documents, deliverables and accounting related information.
- Ensures the pricing supports the quote/renewal strategy.
- Assists department with projects or workgroups. Identifies and supports process improvement through automation or process change.
- Conducts audits on premiums, fees and claim wires to ensure all receivables are accurate and accounted for.
- Tracks workflow and pricing discretion in Salesforce.
- Assists less experienced underwriters in development of technical skills or specific subject matter.
- Experience with Third-Party Administrators and/or in stop loss marketing, stop loss carrier rating, and/or producer marketing/placement are a plus.
- Experience working with standard Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrated success in collaborating with others to meet/exceed expectations.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize analytical and independent thinking skills.
- 3-5 years’ experience in underwriting/accounting concepts, pricing methodologies and funding arrangements.
- Experience providing clear and concise written and verbal communications.
- Bachelor's degree
- Demonstrated success prioritizing work and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Bachelor's degree
At Aetna, a CVS Health company, we are joined in a common purpose: helping people on their path to better health. We are working to transform health care through innovations that make quality care more accessible, easier to use, less expensive and patient-focused. Working together and organizing around the individual, we are pioneering a new approach to total health that puts people at the heart.
We are committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive workplace. CVS Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate in recruiting, hiring or promotion based on race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, age, disability or protected veteran status. We proudly support and encourage people with military experience (active, veterans, reservists and National Guard) as well as military spouses to apply for CVS Health job opportunities.